Thursday, April 1, 2010

Morning Glory Muffins



I posted about making homemade granola the other day. It turned out pretty good despite my recipe tinkering. I especially enjoy granola on yogurt. I ACTUALLY made this batch of granola because I've been wanting to try out this recipe for some fairly wholesome muffins called "Morning Glory Muffins". As I was about to top my muffins with granola just before baking, I realized I forgot to add the brown sugar to the batter! Rookie mistake... yikes! I was so disappointed in myself; such a waste of so many ingredients. I quickly sprinkled some brown sugar on top of each muffin, then topped that with the granola, popped it into the oven, and hoped for the best.

Despite my mistake, the muffins were still slightly sweet... the coconut and grated carrot I presume. The streusel-like topping was super yummy. I will definitely make these muffins again with the brown sugar IN the batter. I did substitute toasted pecans for the toasted walnuts and I used just 1% milk. Next time I make these, I will use some unsweetened applesauce in place of some of the oil, too. I found the unsweetened coconut at the health food store; it has a much dryer consistency compared to the sticky, sweet coconut you find at the grocery store. I made 12 muffins which have great tops and I baked them for only 20 minutes.

I think they are the prettiest muffins I've ever made. My husband must have thought so too, because when I woke up this morning, I saw he had eaten one of these muffins when he came home late from work last night. I will be very curious to know his opinion of these muffins. I do a lot of baking just for me (to stock the freezer) since my husband and son are rather picky and they don't care for the more wholesome things I make. Maybe he'll say they were terrible and think it was an April Fool's joke! We'll see! [UPDATE: Hubby just woke up and he mentioned to me he had a muffin last night. I asked what he thought and he said he LIKED them. I told him about THE BROWN SUGAR fiasco and then considered telling him about the wholesome ingredients and why I am so surprised he liked the muffin, but then I decided against it... knowing he'd refuse to eat another muffin once he learned they contained CARROTS (gasp!) and COCONUT (eeewwww!) Then I offered to make him some eggs and turkey bacon for breakfast and asked if he wanted toast. I almost fell over when he said, "I'd like a muffin!"] Enough said... you must try out these muffins... link follows.

Here is a link to the blog "Vanilla Sugar". This creative blogger posts some amazing recipes with great photos!

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Oh those look so good!