Another Drawstring Bag
After making a drawstring bag the other day, I wanted to make some changes to the construction of this bag. I "boxed" (I don't know what else to call it!) the corners on this bag, thus eliminating some of the bulk of fabric at the bottom of the bag. In the first bag (orange bag with quail and poppies), you fold the bottom of the bag in a certain manner to make the bottom of the bag have a square appearance, but don't cut away any of the fabric. The bag is comprised of an outer layer of fabric, batting, and inner lining fabric, and to me... there was just too much bulk in the bottom of the bag. You can see the bottom of both of the bags below to see the difference. I am much happier with the bottom of the bag in the second bag (with the mice).
I have never tried to make corners on bags like this before so it's been interesting to see the various techniques. To make the mice bag have a nice square bottom like it does, I used a technique I learned when I made the Market Bag earlier this week (see polka dot bag below). I did make a third bag this week without any batting. I really like how it turned out as well. I'll post about that another day. I'll have to take some photos of the process I am using to make the corners so nice and tidy since I am lacking the vocabulary to describe it well.