Wednesday, December 23, 2015

Market Bag (sewing)


A Market Bag


After sewing so many dog bone pillows during November and December for my Etsy shop, I have enjoyed trying some new projects recently which do not requiring stuffing.  This Market Bag pattern is in the book "One Yard Wonders". 


I only really struggled with one aspect of this project. After you get the bag all sewn together, you do some top stitching at the bag's edges to give the bag more structure. Without the top stitching, the bag's sides would not be distinct from the bag's front and back panels.  First you top stitch down one side of the bag, pivot, then across the bottom of the bag, pivot, and then up the other side of the bag, all without cutting the thread or removing the bag from the machine. I could not successfully pivot without some of the fabric getting in the way.  If I make this again, I'll do the top stitching on the sides first and then the bottom. Also, the project calls for some sort if special, sturdy interfacing to insert at the bottom of the bag. I had none so I left it out. 

Making projects with larger panels of fabric makes me realize I could really use a larger ruler to use with my rotary cutter and self-healing cutting mats. If you are not sure what I am talking about, it's like   cutting fabric with a razor sharp pizza cutter.  The mats are a special material which does not get damaged by the cutting.  Thankfully I got a nice JoAnn's Store gift card for Christmas so I know just what to get.  Thanks Mom and Dad!

No comments: