Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Teddy Bear Tree Skirt

Denium and Teddy Bear Christmas Tree Skirt

A sweet little tree skirt. This is a pre-printed panel from Daisy Kingdom. I sure like it; I got it from my Mom's stash of fabric. I bought a coordinating red fabric for the backing. I love how it turned out.  I have some others to make. Stay tuned!  


What a difference a few weeks makes. I did not capture the exact same angle, but this is pretty darn close. 

Winter is upon us. 

Thursday, November 13, 2014

Wine Bottle Cozy #2

Baby, it's cold outside!  So cold I had to knit another Wine Bottle Cozy. After all, Cabernet Sauvignon is no good chilled; it's best served at room temperature.  

This time, I knit my bottle cozy in Berroco Comfort Worsted Weight.  This cozy turned out a tad smaller than the last bottle cozy since this yarn is a bit finer than the aran weight Bernat Mosaic yarn I used previously.  I used US Size 8 needles for both cozies.  The red and white cozy is a bit shorter.  I am not sure if I like it best if the bottle cozy covers the entire bottle or if some of bottle top peeks out.  I suppose it's a matter of personal preference.  I think both look nice.   The good thing about this project is that the bottle cozy is ribbed so it really hugs the curves of the bottle, so if the bottle cozy is a little too big or a little too small, it still works!

Time to knit something else.  There are some small appliances in my kitchen which may be getting cold.  Maybe the toaster needs a cozy?

Wednesday, November 12, 2014

Wine Bottle Cozy

Wine Bottle Cozy

I am so tickled. I had this idea for a knit wine bottle cozy and it worked. The yarn in this project is Bernat Mossic. The purple color in the yarn got me to thinking about wine but it turns out the colorway for this yarn is called "Ninja". 

The very bottom of the cozy is actually a crocheted circle. When the bottom was done, I changed to knitting double pointed needles and picked up and knit stitches around the edge of the circle.  Here, I'll show you...

I created eyelet holes near the top and made a draw string out of I-cord. I am really happy with how it turned out. Sadly  the Bernat Mosaic yarn has been discontinued. My yarn shop has a similar yarn by Cascade Yarns called "Souk" which also changes colors slowly, just like the Mosaic.  Right now I am trying out the pattern in Berroco Comfort worsted weight. Mosaic and Souk are both Aran weight which I think is a bit thicker than worsted weight. 

We had a very snowy Veterans Day in Colorado. Good knitting weather. 

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Seriously Chunky Cowls

These cowls are SERIOULSY CHUNKY!

The pale blue cowl is knit on US Size 15 (10 mm needles). I held four strands of Queensland Collection Bamboo Cotton together while knitting.

The oat colored cowl is knit on US Size 19 (15 mm needles). I held four strands of Berroco Weekend (acrylic/cotton blend) together while knitting.

I added these cowls to my Etsy shop in the Hand Knit Items section.  I enjoy making the pillows I sell on Etsy but would love to make and sell more hand knit items.

Happy Knitting!

Saturday, November 8, 2014

Table Runner: Boo!

I sewed up a little table runner a few weekends ago. I gave it away before I took good photos but this gives you the idea.  I used a cute Halloween print (got it from my Mom... thanks, Mom!).  I pinned the print to some polyester batting and stitched about a half dozen horizontal lines so the runner was "quilted" a bit.  Then I put the quilted piece on top of the black and white polka dot fabric (wrong side up).  The black and white polka dot fabric is both the backing and the binding. I cut the polka dot fabric so that the rectangle was 1 1/2 inches bigger than the quilted piece on all sides.  I started with the long sides first. I folded the polka dot fabric in 3/4 of an inch and pressed it with the iron. Then I folded it in again 3/4 of an inch.  Voila!  Instant binding.  I stitched down the binding after pinning it along the length of the binding. Then I focused on the shorter sides and folded in the binding the same way and then stitched down the short sides just like the long sides. 
I wanted to keep this little cutie for myself but I did not think to measure my table space first.  This runner was too big for my dining table.  Placemats and runner did not fit. I gifted the runner to my local knit shop and it looks great on the big square table where folks gather to knit each day.

Monday, November 3, 2014

Happy Fall

We've had a glorious fall this year. A few shots from my iPhone.  Above, the sun beginning to set at 5:00 pm on Monday, taken from my driveway. 

Above, the sky was a little gray and dreary on Saturday down at the river. The dogs had a great time. Lots of great sniffs and they got to play with a few other dogs. 

Above, a photo taken from my comfy chair in my back yard. 

Above, a great shot of the Arkansas River. So lucky this spot is less than a five minute drive from my house. 

The doggies and I sure are loving fall this year. I hope you are too!