Thursday, January 14, 2010

When life gives you lemons...




When life gives you lemons... make lemon bread... and lemon cookies with lemon icing, lemon marinade with herbs, lemon viniagrette, lemon meringue pie, lemon shortbread cookies... ah, such possibilities!

Some relatives in Arizona have wonderful citrus trees in their yard, including a very prolific lemon tree, and the past few Januaries, they've sent us big boxes of the biggest, freshest lemons I have ever seen! I have them stowed safely in the fridge for now (can't let any go bad or go to waste!) as I dream up recipes for them. So far I've made this moist, sticky, slightly sweet loaf of lemon bread from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. The recipe calls for brushing the loaf with a combination of fresh lemon juice and sugar while the loaf is still hot. Yum! Coworkers loved it! Next time, will add poppyseeds for sure!
Block #24 is nearing completion. Will post a photo of that later today. Nine more rows to go and a bind off row and some blocking to stretch it to size, and then I'll be on to the next block! I wonder if the ladies at my Thursday knitting group would like some lemon cookies with icing? I've got just a recipe for that!

No comments: