Tuesday, November 28, 2017

Fish Bowl Socks



Fish Bowl Socks



Isn't this yarn pretty? This is yet again one of those instances where I bought a beautiful hank of yarn and I could not tell how it would knit up when I worked with it. I did try out this yarn in a shawl pattern before I settled on making socks. You just can't go wrong with socks.



I got this yarn at the Interweave Yarn Fest in Loveland, Colorado, in 2016.  I love the yarn from Western Sky Knits and the colorway is called "Fish Bowl".  You can see the Western Sky Knits  website here: www.wsknits.com

I have two other pairs of socks knit up in Western Sky Knits yarn and the socks have really held up nicely.  This time around, I tried out a new pattern called "Make Your Heels Strong".  I have been using the Strong Heel recently and I really like it. I had a class at my local yarn shop recently and, in the class, I taught how to work the Strong Heel.  When I was doing a little homework/research for the class, I came across the "Make Your Heel's Strong" pattern so I had to give it a try.  What is interesting about this pattern is that, as you add stitches to form the Strong Heel, you work the new stitches into the k2,p2 ribbing on the back of the heel.  I hope you can sort of see that in some of the photos.



The socks look funny when they are lying flat; the k2,p2 ribbing in the cuff/let portion makes the sock drawn in on itself.  The foot is all done in stockinette stitch and looks disproportionately huge in comparison.



This was a great pattern to try.  Here is the pattern link if you'd like to check it out.  Click HERE.  It is a FREE pattern.



The yarn pooled in an interesting way, don't you think?  I love my new socks.  On to the next pair of socks!

No comments: