Thursday, November 12, 2009

A cool knitting gadget



The other day I had to get the oil changed in my car. I was eyeing a Yarn Outlet store in Colorado Springs near the car dealership where I get the oil changed. I ventured over to the Yarn Outlet and was absolutely overwhelmed by the selection of yarns. The store manager explained the yarns were all discontinued yarns, with the exception being a small selection of Cascade 220 Superwash. The Superwash yarn is available at this store so folks can purchase it to make helmet liners for soldiers. She gave me a copy of the pattern and encouraged me to make helmet liners and bring them to the shop upon completion. She told me about one knitter in particular who had made about 300 helmet liners! The skeins of Cascade Superwash available in the shop were all muted tones... black, brown, olive green, etc... because they are most appropriate for the project and for the safety of the soldiers. I could not bring myself to purchase any yarn at this store since I did not want to "cheat" on Anne at Anne's Knits and Such in my home town... I am a loyal customer! I could not, however, leave the Yarn Outlet empty handed! I have seen this Knit Kit in magazines and on the internet. It's a cute little plastic shell which keeps a bunch of knitting notions all in one place: a tape measure, a crochet hook, a pair of scissors (TSA approved!), a stitch counter, a yarn cutter, a few rubber stitch markers, and those little things I am supposed to put on the tips of my needles so the stitches don't fall off. This Knit Kit was a bit of a splurge for me, but I was tickled to buy it! Looks like a person could find out where to find one of these by checking out the following site http://www.theknitkit.com/

No comments: