Sunday, November 11, 2018

Nelkin Designs "Lolatude" Kit #2... one more pot holder



The other day I posted a photo of a wool pot holder I had finished.  It was what I made from a kit I received in the mail from "Nelkin Designs".  I was able to make one more pot holder with the yarn I received.  When I downloaded the pot holder pattern, I also received access to more octagon designs so I tried out the design you see above which is called "Honeycomb". The yarn colorway is called "Honey" so I just had to make the Honeycomb design, right?

Below you can see both pot holders together. They have great texture/design. They are supposed to be felted and I just haven't gotten around to that yet. I am really curious to see how the texture/design changes when they are felted.



The new skill I learned in this octagon is "purl center double decrease" (PCDD). It's the opposite of a "center double decrease" (CDD).  These decreases are excellent since they do not lean left or right and are both good techniques to have in your knitting bag of tricks.



Above are photos of the pot holder after blocking.
Below is a photo of the pot holder before blocking.



These octagon designs are part of an afghan pattern by Laura Nelkin called "Contexta". After having so much fun with the pot holders, I've designed I must make the Contexta afghan.  The octagons are stitched together with mitered squares.  It will be a super fun project I think!

If you'd like to see the Contexta afghan on Ravelry, click HERE.

No comments: