Monday, July 9, 2018

Brickless





Brickless





"Brickless" is another pattern from German Designer Martina Behm.  I love her designs.  In fact, I am working on two other projects using her patterns right now and have two more I am itching to cast on.  Thankfully I am really in a mood to finish up some projects which have been lingering so I will try to refrain from casting on new things for a little while.



I love how this project turned out!  The yarn is from Brooks Farm Yarn in Lancaster, Texas.  www.brooksfarmyarn.com They attended the Salida Fiber Festival (Salida, Colorado) a few years back and I found this yarn in their booth.  Of course I bought the yarn for an entirely different purpose, but I am glad I decided to try out the Brickless pattern with this yarn. It was a very good match. The yarn is called "Trio"; it is a blend of wool, alpaca, and silk.  It was great to work with and just looks and feels great after soaking and blocking.  The Brickless pattern is NOT a free pattern, but it's worth the purchase.  There is net lace portion, a garter portion, and a ribbed portion.  I just kept repeating the different sections until I just about ran out of yarn (I had 6 grams of yarn remaining).   The Brickless pattern calls for worsted weight yarn; I have also seen folks knit this pattern in fingering/sock weight yarn with very nice results.  I found it interesting that the pattern called for US Size 6 needles and worsted weight yarn; ordinarily, I would use slightly larger needles with worsted weight yarn.

It's fun to meet the folks behind the yarn when you attend fiber festivals such as the Salida Fiber Festival.  I love seeing the gals from Wooly Wonka and Greenwood Fibers.  I will never forget the gentleman from whom I purchases this Brooks Farm Yarn. When I was in the booth, I said to the seller, "Oh, I see you are from Lancaster, Texas."  I pronounced the town's name.... LAN-CAS-TER, with equal emphasis on each syllable.  He told me repeatedly that I was pronouncing it incorrectly and I remember repeating the town's name back to him "correctly" with his pronunciation.  He pronounced it something like "LANG-cas-ter".  All of the emphasis was on the first syllable and it sounded more like "LANG" instead of "LAN".  It still makes me chuckle to this day. It was a really funny exchange with this friendly Texas gentleman from Brooks Farm Yarn.  I love it when a project or a hank of yarn has a story to go along with it.



Brickless pattern link:  Click HERE

Yarn source: Click HERE

No comments: