Saturday, July 21, 2018

Skyline Drive Hitchhiker



Skyline Drive Hitchhiker



Yipee!  My latest project is done!  If you are keeping track, this is Hitchhiker #5 for me.  I added beads.  I blogged about this project just a few days ago; you can read more about this project HERE.



I am really enjoying knitting with beads lately. I've cast on a new pattern in gorgeous yarn with amazing beads.  Both were purchased at the Interweave Yarn Fest in Loveland, Colorado, back in April 2018. I'll give you a sneak peek sometime soon after I get a few more rows done.





4 comments:

Lee said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lee said...

That’s gorgeous! I like the hitchhiker pattern too. Can I ask for a few details about how you add your beads? Thanks!
Lee

Kim said...

Hi Lee. Thanks for the comment. I am really happy with this project too.

I found some pattern notes on Raverly that helped me determine where to add beads on the Hitchhiker project. On Row 8 of the pattern repeat, you bind off the first five stitches of the row to create the "teeth" along the side of the shawl. I added my beads on the very first stitch of row 8. I got this idea from the following project on Ravelry.

https://www.ravelry.com/projects/kkhymn/hitchhiker-10

If you've never added beads to knitting, here is a great video. This shows you how to add beads using a very small crochet hook. I use a 1.00 mm crochet hook (US Size 11/12). It need to be small enough for your beads, or rather the hole in your beads. If you do not have a small enough crochet hook, there is also a method using an drug store item called a "dental flosser". Both techniques are demonstrated in the following video. I sure hope this helps. Beads can add so much to your knitting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At2QJt73sLM

Lee said...

Kim,
Thank you so much for all the information! I’ll look into it and will let you know how it works out when I get to making one!