Friday, September 1, 2017

String Bag (Crochet)


Crochet String Bag


I visited my sister back in July and I helped get her started on a crochet project. Ever since then, I've been on a bit of a crochet kick myself.  I made the bag pictured above from yarn called Berroco Weekend.  It is a acrylic/cotton blend.

The pattern is from a book called "simple crochet" by Erika Knight. It's a great book; I've made a number of patterns in the book including the Turkish Slippers pictured on the cover (see below).


I am going to be teaching a class on this project at my local knit shop so I wanted to make up a second bag using yarn currently available for purchase at the knit shop.  For the second bag, I used Lily Sugar 'n Cream.  I ended up using about 1 1/2 balls of yarn for the bag. I did add a few extra rows around the handles to make them a little more substantial.  I used the leftover yarn to make a nice dish scrubber.  Here are the bags on display at my local knit shop.  This part of the shop is called "Cotton Corner".  I love it! 


You can see that the bags really stretch out when you place objects inside.  I've made this pattern before using cotton kitchen twine. This kind of bag is great for many uses.  I took my cotton bag to Mexico a few times and it's the perfect bag for carrying sunglasses, sunscreen, and a paperback book to the pool or beach.  You could also use a bag like this to carry your lunch.  The pattern suggests making the bag using multipurpose polypropylene string, which can be found at hardware stores.  My mom called me recently to tell me she had found some polypropylene string in some great colors at her local Dollar Store. I will have to check my local Dollar Store as well, but I do really like the bags made with cotton and cotton/blend yarn.   



1 comment:

affectioknit said...

I love it...I need to make a new string bag...

~Have a lovely day!