Wednesday, September 13, 2017

Cupcake Socks with FLK Heel: All DONE... FINALLY!



Cupcake Socks

.

These socks are called "Cupcake Socks" because that is the name given to the yarn colorway by the yarn dyer.  The yarn dyer/company is called "Biscotte", although when I bought this yarn I think the yarn company was called "Biscotte & Cie".  Anyway... this is yarn I purchased way, way, WAY back in June 2013, when I was in Oregon visiting Mom and Dad. The yarn shop, which is located in Beaverton, Oregon, is called "For Yarn's Sake."  Cute name, right?  My project notes showed I started knitting these socks way, way, WAY back in October 2013.  No, that is not a typographical error.  I think I really wanted these socks to be super perfect because this yarn was a big splurge. Yep, it was probably the first time I spent $25.00 on a ball of yarn for a single pair of socks.  Yikes, right?  Truth be told, I've gotten over the sticker shock. I routinely pay that much or more for sock yarn.  I look at it this way. Each sock is close to 10,000 stitches and I've been working on these socks (on and off) for nearly four years, so I've gotten $25.00 worth of enjoyment out of this yarn and now I get to wear the heck out of these socks, too. 

I kept putting these socks aside because I kept having problems with them.  For various reasons, one sock was bigger than the other... so I ripped it back. Then I put the socks on magic loop so I could finish them two at a time. Then I couldn't decide what heel to put in the sock because I did not want to disturb the perfect stripes going on.  I inserted waste yarn for an afterthought heel, but still the socks sat lingering. 

A few weeks ago, I figured out how to work the "Fish Lips Kiss Heel" and I really wanted to use this new heel in a pair of socks.  I did not want to start a NEW pair of socks so I inserted the Fish Lips Kiss Heel in the Cupcake Socks and it worked out pretty well.  I lucked out and the stripes did not get disturbed too terribly. I am pretty happy with the results and it feels so good to have these socks done... finally!


Heel Pattern: Fish Lips Kiss Heel (LINK)
Yarn: Biscotte (LINK) / Yarn Biscotte & Cie "Felix" in the Cupcake colorway.
For these socks, I cast on 64 stitches on needles 2.25 mm.

No comments: