Sunday, September 24, 2017

Socks: Mens Size 13.... done!






Socks: Mens Size 13... done!



In LATE February of this year my husband says, "Hey, would you knit me a pair of socks for my birthday?"  Did you read that I said LATE February? 

His birthday is March 2nd. 

And he wears size 13 shoes.  This is why I've never made him a pair of socks.

I did cast on the socks on February 21.  His birthday came and went... no socks.  In late August, I told myself his "half-birthday" would be September 2nd, so I aimed to get them done.  I tried really hard to get them done, but did I mention... he wears Mens Size 13 shoes?  Those are some big feet and those are some big socks.

For the socks, I used Patons Kroy Socks 4 Ply and the colorway is called "Eclipse Stripes".  I cast on 72 stitches for each sock on 2.50 mm needles.  The cuff/leg and top of the foot/instep are worked in k3-p1 ribbing.  I made the leg portion of the socks just 6 inches long.  I worked 40 rows in the heel flap and I picked up and knit 20 stitches on EACH side of the heel flap.  I used two balls of yarn for the socks with not a lot left over. I actually purchased a third ball of yarn just in case I needed it. If I would have made the leg portion a few inches longer, I would have needed more yarn. 

With the leftover ball of yarn, I am making the cutest socks for me. I'll show you them soon.  Here are a few more photos of these big ol' belated birthday socks.  My husband says that he doesn't know why any one else calls there feet "feet".  He goes on to explain that his feet are exactly one foot long... 12 inches... so he can call his feet "feet" or he can call his foot a "foot".  Hopefully I am explaining it well. It makes me chuckle when he explains it. 




No comments: