Friday, January 15, 2016

Three New Techniques in ONE Pair of Socks


Two at a Time Toe Up Socks with a Fleegle Heel


I took a class to make these socks a few months back. I was unhappy with these socks because the yarn is scrawny and the needles I used were too big. The combination created loose, messy/stretched out looking knitting when I put the socks on my feet.   The photos above are pictures I snapped and sent to the class instructor. I kept asking, "should I start the heel yet?"  Kind of like "are we there yet?"  Ha, ha!


I liked that I added some mock cables to the socks. I also liked that I learned toe up cast on called "Judy's Magic Cast On". 


I liked knitting the Fleegle Heel. 


I liked that I learned a new bind off called "Jenny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off".


I was going to frog these socks and I tried them on one last time before I did. The socks are a tad long (I started the heel a bit too late) and, like I said, I was unhappy with the yarn/needle combination.  It occurred to me I could just knit about a dozen rows of k1 p1 ribbing and I would have the opportunity to try out the new bind off technique and I would have a nice short pair of socks.  So that's what I did.  I am happy I finished these socks.  They do slip around on my feet when I walk around in the house, but I am done with the project and on to the next thing...



2 comments:

affectioknit said...

They're really cute...I have a harder time with toe up sock's heel placement than with top down...

~Have a lovely day!

Kim said...

Thanks! I agree. I really want to figure out the toe up process. I thought the benefit of knitting from the toe up was being able to try it on as you go but if you don't quite get where to start the heel, it's not very helpful. I've cast on another toe up pair so at least I have this first pair for comparison.