Saturday, August 20, 2011

198 Yards of Heaven: A Shawlette




Isn't she lovely?  This is a rather small shawl (or shawlette) intended to be worn like a neckerchief.

The pattern called "198 Yards of Heaven" can be found HERE and is designed to use 198 yards of worsted or aran weight yarn.  For my project, I used one ball of Crystal Palace's Mini Mochi yarn (contains 195 yards).  I love the colors in this yarn (called "Rainbow Trout").  I've used Mini Mochi before in a number of scarves... I love this fingering weight yarn.  It's quite splity, so it's difficult to knit with fine, sharp pointed needles, but in this project I used US 7 needles and the splity-ness was not too much of a problem.  I have two more skeins of Mini Mochi yarn in a colorway called "Crayon Box".  I am considering making this pattern again so it will be closer to "400 yards of Heaven".  This project was so fun to make.  Some lace patterns are so troublesome, but this pattern was just plain fun. 

I was surprised when I got to the lace border of the shawl.  The body of the shawl is more like stockinette but the border is primarily garter stitch.  If I make this pattern again, I might try to modify the lace border.  From looking at other projects on Ravelry completed with this pattern, it looks as if others may have modified the lace border in this manner.  Whatever the case may be, I am loving knitting shawls.   Not exactly sure what I'll do with this shawl... maybe a gift, maybe for me.  Decisions, decisions...

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

It is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

What a pretty pattern and I love the yarn colors.
Harriet

Wool Free and Lovin Knit said...

what a pretty color choice. I've been thinking about knitting that pattern as a gift for someone -- is it really that easy? How long did it take you to knit it? I could use a quick knit.

Kim said...

Thanks ladies! My dad even wrote to me to tell me how much he liked this! In answer to your questions, Wool Free and Lovin Knit... this was a pretty quick knit. I think I had it knit up in less than one week. Sometimes I really struggle with mistakes and tinking in lace patterns but not with this pattern. When I cast it off, I was considering starting another one right away (but two times as big)... it's that great of a pattern! I've since been distracted with new shawl patterns but I can definitely see me making this pattern again... stay tuned...