Saturday, December 10, 2016

Norah's Vintage Afghan: Block #5

Block #5

In this post, I've added a few photos of block #5 in various stages of completion so you can see the great texture and detail in different light.

I been working on Norah's Vintage Afghan in earnest in the past several weeks; I've just not taken time to take photos and chat about it all.  This is block #5.  This block, like all the blocks in Norah's afghan pattern, has oodles of cables but it also has "knots".  There is not a lot of instruction in the pattern about how to make the knots but I muddled through.  A gal named Meg, who is also making this project, contacted me and asked about the knots. I figured that since the knots were a stumbling block for both me and Meg, then others might like a little more description of how to make the knots so I will share here what I shared with Meg.

Meg: I'd be happy to help you with that. So you are stuck on the knot? I was stuck on that too. Here's what I did (it's like making a bobble but you don't have to repeatedly turn your work). 
First, in the stitch where there is a red box, you knit into the front of the stitch then you knit into the back of the stitch and then you knit into the front of the stitch. You are creating three stitches where there was just one and you don't take the stitches off the left hand needle and put them on the right hand needle until you've created the three stitches. Then you move the three stitches you've created back to the left hand needle and then knit these three stitches. Leave these stitches on the right hand needle. Now you need to reduce these three stitches back to just one stitch. Looking at the three stitches on your right hand needle... call them A, B, and C from left to right. Using the tip of your left hand needle, slip B over A, and then slip C over A and B, leaving just one stitch. Wow, it's hard to describe. A video would have been easier. Lol. If this doesn't work, send me an email. 


 I am currently working on Block #8.  In the next few days, I'll post photos of Block #6 and Block #7.  I am finding this pattern very enjoyable.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Kim..Just wanted to let you know I finished block #5. Couldn't have done it without your help! And it turned out pretty good. I can't wait to start block #6. Loving this afghan and the challenges it has! Thanks so much for your help!

Kim said...

Hi Meg! Glad I was able to help you out with your block. This is such a great project; I am so glad I am making this afghan and so glad you are too and following along on my blog. Happy knitting and thanks for commenting.