Monday, December 26, 2011

Ravelry Group: "12 in 2012"

A gal on Ravelry who goes by the name "MommyLovesYarn" started a new group on Ravelry a few weeks back.  This is how she introduced the group:

"I want to work down the stash and the queue and figured why not get some my my best knitting buds in on the action. Heck, why not everyone.  Lets complete 12 full projects in 2012. Not a feat for some but a big challenge for me. We can post pics, ask each other questions, chat or just cheer each other on.
SO who’s with me?"

So of course... I joined. 

In case you are not familiar with these Ravelry groups, there are a ton... a group for every interest you could possibly have.  And, if you can't find what you are looking for, you can start and moderatie your OWN group.  I've talked about my favorite group called "12 months=24 hats" but on Ravelry you'll find...Knit 11 Shawls in 2011, fans of Lucy on the "Attic 24" blog, fans of Harry Potter books and movies, cable lovers, fans of Knit Picks Interchangeable needles, Berroco Lovers, a group where people post what they put in their Crock Pot for the day, fans of designs by Susanna IC, people who are devoted to knitting from their stashes only, people who are all knitting the Multnomah Shawl, fans of Mike Row and the show called "Dirty Jobs"... I could go on and on.  New groups are being created all the time. Why, I think I belong to 46 groups but am active in only a few.

Since I joined the "12 in 2012" group a few weeks back, more and more folks are joining in on the fun and there is a lot of discussion about what 12 things folks intend to knit. This has got me to pondering my goals or knitting resolutions for 2012 and this is what I have so far.  I am not just planning 12 specific projects, but I am establishing 12 goals for myself to use yarn I already have in my stash. 

NOTE: If you have a Ravelry account, you can click on the highlighted portions below to look at both the pattern link and a photo of the yarn I have in mind for each project listed.
(1)  An afghan called "Nature in Natural" (a pattern from Lion Brand) using up my Berroco Weekend yarn/color: natural, oatmeal.  I may re-purpose this yarn to make a pattern called "Girasole" by Jared Flood.  I just can't decide!
(2)  A sweater called "Pismo" for me using my Cascade 220 Superwash Wool yarn in a lovely lavender/periwinkle color.
(3)  Make something out of my gorgeous two (2) skeins of Noro Silk Garden Sock. This yarn is too beautiful to waste!  I just can't decide!
(4)  Make an "Annis Shawl" with beads instead of nupps with yarn from the Sock Summit 2011).
(5)  Make one (1) shawl (for "Wrapped in Care" group on Ravelry).
(6)  Make a "Swallowtail Shawl" in teal Lion Brand Sock Ease yarn. 
(7)   Make an "Elizabeth Zimmermann Pi Shawl"-Inspired Christmas Tree skirt out of Mom's Stash Yarn:  Schaffhauser Wolle 'Nancy' in an antique/off-white shade.
(8)   Use remaining stashed Berroco Comfort DK yarn for chemo caps.
(9)   Find a good use for Mom's Stash Yarn: 'Lil Grins' (cotton/acrylic blend).  May make a little sweater.
(10)  Make 12 Christmas Stockings for "Operation Holiday Stockings" (at LEAST 12 stockings in 2012).   (11)   Make 12 of pairs of SOCKS *** OR *** make 12 of projects from book "Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders" (or any combination of the two that adds up to 12).
(12)  Try, try, TRY to not buy new yarn for 12 entire months!

I could easily make a goal to make 12 shawls in 2012, as there are so many shawl projects I love.  Gail, Haruni, Holden, Clapotis, Bitterroot, Ginkgo, Larch, Multnomah.... just give me a minute... I know I can come up with at LEAST 12 shawl-like patterns I want to make!

Of course, before I start in on these NEW goals, I should probably set a goal for myself to complete some works in progress (WIP's) before now and the end of 2011.  Off the top of my head, I would say I would like to complete my "Chasing Rainbows Blanket" by the end of 2011.  Now that I have put it in writing, I better get busy!  Of course the fact that I have cast on two pairs of socks, a scarf/wrap called "Chinook", and two pairs of fingerless mitts in just the past week or so is not helping me finish my blanket... oh, what's a knitter to do?

No comments: