Thursday, December 22, 2011

One Skein Wonder: Calabaza Calypso Complete


Calabaza Calypso Scarf

I started knitting this project in September, when fall colors were in their full glory here in Colorado. The colors in this yarn had me thinking of autumn leaves and pumpkin patches.  I had to take breaks from knitting to go to the kitchen and bake pumpkin pies and pumpkin bread. Yes, I had pumpkin on my brain!  I noticed on the can of pumpkin puree that "calabaza" is the Spanish word for pumpkin.  The pattern for this scarf is called "Calypso" and it's from the great book "Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders"... so there you have it... Calabaza Calypso.
This is made from one ball of Berroco Sox Metallic (do you see the little flecks of silver metallic thread?). It knit up beautifully... very nice yarn. I wish I had more in my stash!  The pattern called for making this project into a much wider stoll.  I reduced the number of stitches to 36 for a narrower scarf and I am happy with the results.  It's a simple pattern and I like the look of the drop stitches.  If you've not made a drop stitch scarf, you should.  I think it looks nice in colorful yarn but I think it would also look nice in a solid color.  The patter called for beads but I thought the metallic thread was enough bling for me.

1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Very pretty!

Have a lovely day!