Monday, November 21, 2011

From January 14, 2011: Things to do... Update.

On January 14, 2011, I posted the following about my knitting goals for 2011.
I thought it would be fun to see how close I got to meeting my goals for the year.

Here's what I posted:
***************************************************************************
I have been pondering New Year's Resolutions since mid-December.  When I joined the Ravelry group called "12 months=24 hats" it got me to thinking about setting goals for my knitting.


With these goals in mind, I've been inventorying my stash of yarn.  I have yarn to complete all of my goals and then some!  The only exception is yarn suitable for the Wrapped in Care project. I have some yarn in my stash but it might not be suitable.  When I did an inventory of my yarn today, I gathered printed patterns and skeins of yarn and made up kits to make the following projects. Drum roll, please... here they are!
  1. Pismo sweater in Cascade 220 Superwash in a lavender color.
  2. Clapotis in Noro Silk Garden (sock weight).
  3. Modern Classics Christmas stockings in blue and white (a kit from Knit Picks)
  4. Point Gammon Pullover in Berroco Weekend in a tan color.
  5. Beaded Scarf in Cascade Ultra Pima Cotton (chocolate brown color with great beads).
  6. Hemlock Ring Throw in Cascade Eco Wool in an off white/natural color.
  7. Enough yarn to make 9 pairs of socks (various brands of sock yarn).
  8. Enough yarn to make 15 chemo caps with Berroco Comfort DK.
  9. A ton of Queensland Bamboo Cotton (am not sure what to do with it).
  10. A ton of Nancy (discontinued) cotton/rayon/acrylic/silk blend yarn (might make a shawl).
  11. A ton of acrylic and acrylic/wool blend yarns (not sure what to do with all of it but some is being knit into stockings for soldiers and some is being knit into hats for babies).
  12. Two kinds of lace yarn in different shades of pink to make a scarf and a shawl (maybe)
  13. Several skeins of Berroco Comfort Chunky in an off-white color (might make Rosamund's Cardigan but I am just not sure?).
  14. Some bright yarn to make these Christmas Ornaments (a crochet project).
Believe it or now, I have much, much more yarn.  We'll have to revisit this post in December (and throughout the year) to check on my progress.  I am feeling a tad overwhelmed. I better knit faster! 

What projects are you planning to make in 2011?
********************************************************************
Update:  As of November 21, 2011....
DRUMMMMM ROLLLLLLLLL!

How did I do? I did well on my charity knitting projects.  As for the other goals... it's a mixed bag.

Since November 2010, I made and donated 50 chemo caps, five Snuggles (blankets for the Humane Society animals), two blankets and 18 caps for an NICU in Arkansas, one shawl for Wrapped in Care, 32 Christmas stockings for Operation Holiday Stockings, and three pairs of fingerless mitts for Mitts of Steal (and a partridge in a pear tree).  Oh, sorry... that's a different list!  Ha, ha.   I would have liked to have made more stockings for the soldiers (I certainly have the yarn!), but got distracted by some other knit-worthy causes.

As for goals labeled #1 through #14. Well, it seems like most of these things will be on my list for 2012.
  • No progress on goals #1 through #4. 
  • Goal met!  I did complete the beaded scarf #5.
  • I am just now working on Hemlock Ring Throw #6. 
  • I did not make much progress on #7 sock yarn but am more motivated to do so after perusing the book called "Sock Yarn One Skein Wonders".  
  • I put a good dent in #8 Berroco Comfort DK yarn for chemo caps, but I still have some left (it will NOT go to waste!).  I bought more Berroco Comfort yarn throughout the year... doh!
  • Still contemplating what to do with yarn in #9 and #10.
  • #11 goal met!  I used up a TON of acrylic yarn on the Snuggles project.  Yarn goes quickly when you hold two or three strands together at one time.
  • #12... ugh! Lace.  I started and stopped two lacey stolls/scarves/shawls.  Another day...
  • #13... yay! Used up all this yarn on my Wrapped in Care Shawl.
  • #14... maybe next year.
As the year is coming to a close, I feel so incredibly blessed by a number of things... I have an amazing stash of yarn and so many projects I am excited to make.  Making  knitted things and giving them away gives me a sense of purpose and a sense of accomplishment.  Knitting has also introduced me to a lot of new friends... at my local knit shop and also on Ravelry.  My goal through this past year was to NOT buy new yarn.  I did not do very well... I fell off the sheep!  I acquired quite a bit of yarn this year.  For some reason, I felt less guilty about buying new yarn if I cast in on right away. At least I was using it, right?

I am working on my Knitting Goals for 2012.  I'll keep you posted.

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

You are AWESOME!

Have a lovely Monday!

K2 said...

You've done so much! And so much for such worthy projects!!! Fyi, love the ponytail hat!!!
K2