Friday, September 2, 2011

Blueberry Pancakes and Potato Chips

I tought that post title might catch your attention.


The pattern... Potato Chip Scarf.  Ravelry pattern link is HERE.
The yarn... Crystal Palace's Mini Mochi in a colorway called "Blueberry Pancakes"


For my scarf (a Christmas present), the yarn is fingering weight, I used needle size US Size 7 (I used DPN's) and the pattern couldn't be simpler.  I used two balls of Mini Mochi and each ball contains 195 yards.  You can make the scarf on larger needles with one ball of yarn, but I like longer scarves.  You can use a variety of yarn types and weights for this scarf but I think this pattern and the Mini Mochi look great together because of the long color changes. I also like the look of the scarf on the size 7 needles because I like the tighter spiral. Scarves made on larger needles are floppier for a very different effect.  I read a pattern note saying this pattern is called Potato Chip Scarf because... you can't eat just one potato chip and you can't make just one Potato Chip Scarf.  As for me, I was pretty tired of the pattern by the time I finished this yesterday.  But then again, I am pretty excited to be on to my next projects. This pattern also reminds me of the curly fries you can get at fairs and festivals.







Cast on 20 stitches.
Row 1:  Knit 8 stitches, turn.
Row 2:  Knit 8 stitches, turn.
Row 3:  Knit 6 stitches, turn.
Row 4:  Knit 6 stitches, turn.
Row 5:  Knit 4 stitches, turn.
Row 6:  Knit 4 stitches, turn.
Row 7:  Knit 20 stitches, turn. 
Repeat rows 1 - 7 until you run out of yarn and bind off. 

The pattern is such that you work or make short rows back and forth on one side of the scarf only for the first six rows, then you knit across all 20 stitches on the needle (Row 7). When you start Row 1 for the second time, you are working on the opposite side of the scarf for six rows until you knit acros all 20 stitches (Row 7) again.  The result is sort of triangular wedges which create ruffles along both sides of the scarf that eventually begin to spiral. 
The construction of the scarf is such that the beginning and the end of the scarf are "forked" like a snake's tongue. Weird... I know!  You can stitch up the fork or you can leave the fork open.  I stitched mine shut.

No comments: