Monday, September 12, 2011

Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders

Several months ago, I found a great book on the shelves at Barnes & Noble Bookstore.  It's called "One- Skein Wonders: 101 Patterns That Go Way Beyond Socks!"  There are a few other "One-Skein Wonder" books out there in case the book sounds familiar and these books include "Luxury Yarn One-Skein Wonders: 101 Small Indulgences" and "101 Designer One-Skein Wonders: A World of Possibilities Inspired by Just One Skein".  The books are by Judith Durant and you can see more about these books on Amazon if you click HERE.

I bought the book because I liked the looks of so many of the projects.  Sadly, I've not yet made any of them.  I am the same way with cook books; I am inspired by the recipes and the photos on the pages, but rarely actually make the recipes.  I was reminded of the book recently because someone on Ravelry recommended the book for it's fingerless mitts patterns.  Hey, I have that book and boy-oh-boy, do I have sock yarn!!!!  Since then, I've been combing the pages of the book, keeping in mind the yarn I have in my stash, and I couldn't believe how many of the projects I would really like to make AND I already have the perfect yarn for several of the projects.  I thought to myself... maybe I should try to make as many of these patterns as possible; that would be a fun goal.

I looked on Ravelry to see if there is a group and sure enough there is a group called "One Skein Wonders". (The folks in the group chat about the projects they are making from the One-Skein Wonders books).  You can see more about the group by clicking HERE.  Wouldn't you know, on the Ravelry "One Skein Wonders" forum, I found a lady who is making all the patterns in the Sock Yarn One-Skein Wonders book.  She is calling herself the "Oneskeinwonderwoman" and her blog can be found HERE.  I've been looking through her blog and her completed projects are gorgeous... and, in my opinion, many of her completed projects are even nicer looking than the projects in the photos in the book.  In fact, some projects did not appeal to me that much until I saw the Oneskeinwonderwoman's workmanship and yarn choice.  I am sold... I am on a mission.  I am making a goal to make as many of these projects as I can.  Already I have about a dozen projects in mind with the yarn I have on hand.

So far, I've cast on a pair of mittens with some self-patterning sock yarn. So far, so good.  I can't wait to share the results with you here! 

Happy Knitting!

No comments: