Monday, February 26, 2018

Dandelion Cowl



dandelion cowl



What a fun little project.  This is a pattern called "Dandelion Cowl".  The pattern link can be found by clicking HERE.  The yarn I used is from Western Sky Knits and it is a DK weight yarn called "Magnolia".  The colorway is called "Winter Wheat" which makes me like the yarn even more because I am a sucker for a yarn with a great and descriptive name. The fiber content is merino wool, nylon, and cashmere.  OooooOOHHHHHhhhh, cashmere!  I bought this yarn at the Interweave Yarnfest in Loveland, Colorado, and it was my intention to make a project called "Dogwood Leaf Cowl".  It is a lovely pattern but I just changed my mind.



This pattern is written for knitting flat and then sewing a seam at the end. I suppose the benefit of knitting the project flat is that you can block it really nicely before sewing the seam.  But... I prefer to knit things in the round.  It was easy enough to convert the pattern for knitting in the round.  In the pattern instructions, you will find both written instructions and a chart. The chart is a 15 stitch repeat.  The top and bottom borders are five rows each in garter stitch. So here's a quick breakdown of what I did in case you'd like to make this project in the round.

I used US Size 9 circular knitting needles (16 inch).
Cast on 135 stitches (or another multiple of 15... ie. 120 or 150 or 165).  I used a long tail cast on. Join to knit in the round being careful not to twist the stitches.

Rounds 1, 3, and 5: purl
Rounds 2 and 4: knit

Work the 15 stitch repeat in the chart from the bottom of the chart to the top of the chart.  Always read the chart from the right to the left, ignoring the stitches outside the chart's red box.  Since I cast on 135 stitches, I repeated the 15 stitch repeat 9 times around (9 x 15 = 135).  I repeated the entire chart four times.  You can do more or fewer repeats as you desire.

For the final border...
Rounds 1, 3, and 5: purl
Rounds 2 and 4: knit.
Bind off loosely.

Weave in loose ends and block as desired.



I am enjoying making a few "one skein wonders".  I do have some larger projects calling my name, but for now, I am loving the sense of accomplishment I get from finishing up this and that.  I am working on some tube socks and some projects using project kits called "Top This".  Too much yarn and too little time!

No comments: