Wednesday, February 21, 2018

Kim's "Chloe Kim" Hat

Kim's CHLOE KIM HAT



Have you been watching the Winter Olympics in South Korea?  I have been watching a little bit here and there.  Sweet 17 year older snow boarder, Chloe Kim, is such a lovely girl.  She was wearing a super duper chunky hat when interviewed after winning her gold medal.  Of course, fiber enthusiasts were all over that and quickly copy cat patterns for Chloe Kim's hat could be found on the internet.






Horrible photo!  It's really hard to take a photo of a project knit in such dark yarn.  Sorry!

I was not inclined to make this hat until I realized I had some super duper chunky yarn in my yarn stash.  This is Tahki Yarns Jumbo yarn; it's a wool/acrylic blend.  The yarn comes in a 100 gram ball and includes a faux fur pom pom.  Perfect!  I did need about 1 1/2 balls of this yarn to make my hat.  I used US size 15 needles for my hat and cast on 32 stitches. The pattern calls for US size 17 needles and 28 stitches. The gauge is 4 stitches equals 4 inches, so that gives you an idea how chunky this hat is.  I think the pattern looks a little cuter when made with a paler color yarn and it probably looks way cuter on a 17 year old girl, as compared to this almost 50 year old. But I don't care and I was really wishing I had this hat this morning when I walked the dogs at the river (it was 12 degrees Fahrenheit this morning... burrrr!!!!)  This hat will be keeping my ears warm for sure!  I did make my hat a bit longer than called for. I like rolling up a longer cuff to keep the hat on a bit better and to keep my ears warmer.  Finally, the yarn calls for holding two strands of yarn together while knitting but I did not need to do that since my yarn is so was so super duper jumbo chunky.

Here is the pattern link for his hat if you are wanting a Chloe Kim hat of your own.  The pattern is FREE. Click HERE.

No comments: