Friday, August 2, 2013

Oops! Harlequin Shorty Socks

 
I posted about these socks a few times.  I accidentally bought two balls of yarn (50 grams each) in the same colorway but DIFFERENT dye lots. Doh!
 
I came up with a solution of how to SQUEEZE one pair of socks out of one 50 gram ball of sock yarn.  I used a contrasting sock yarn for the heels and toes.  I am telling you, being a sock knitter has made me SMART and RESOURCEFUL!  (Ha, ha!)
 
For these socks, I cast on 56 stitches on size 2.75 mm needles. I knit 10 rounds in k2,p2 ribbing and then knit 10 rounds in stockinette stitch before starting the heel flap. For the heel flap, I used a solid teal blue yarn that matched teal blue in the striped yarn really well.  When I was a few inches from the end of the foot, I switched back to the contrasting teal blue yarn.  I knit five rounds in stockinette in teal blue before starting the toe decreases.
 
I still ended up having quite a bit of the striped yarn leftover. Guess I could have make them longer after all since I used so much of the contrasting solid yarn. 
Striped yarn: Premier Yarns Serenity Sock Yarn in "Harlequin" colorway
Solid yarn:  Knit Picks Essential Solids and Tweeds in teal blue 
 

No comments: