Saturday, March 23, 2013

More Socks: Patriot Socks


I am calling these my "Patriot Socks".  The colors are more red, white, and grey than red, white, and blue.  Also looks as if a person working for the United States Postal Service could wear these socks with their official uniform.  The yarn is from Plymouth Yarns and is called "Diversity"; it is the hottest thing flying off the shelves at my yarn shop, Grandma's Beads and Yarn.  They just got in a bunch of new colors and all of them are awesome. I wanted to finish this pair to see how I liked the feel of the socks before I bought more.

These socks are super warm and comfy.  The yarn is 93% acrylic and 7% polyester (elasthane).  The label also refers to the yarn as "Memory Yarn".  I used my friend Marilyn's sock pattern which calls for casting on 52 stitches on US Size 2 (2.75 mm) needles.  This pattern works well for plumper sock yarns such as this yarn.  The only thing I did not like about this yarn was that I found a few knots in the ball of yarn I got.  Did not keep me from making matchy, matchy socks though.  Although you can't see it in the photos very well, there are some spots in the white bands where it appears some of the red dye made contact and speckled some of the white yarn.  I kind of wish the speckles weren't in there but, at the yarn shop, folks commented about the speckles and they mentioned that they really liked them.   I love how it worked out that my socks started and stopped with in the same part of the color repeat.  I am knitting my matchy, matchy socks on two pairs of double pointed needles so I can work on both socks simultaneously.  No Second Sock Syndrome for me! :)



No comments: