Monday, July 25, 2011

Lazy Cable Cap (modified 3AM Cable Hat)

Lazy Cable Cap (3AM Cable Hat - modified)

I have made this cap at least three other times that I can recall; all with very different results. The pattern link can be found HERE. 

Here are links to the other caps I've made using this pattern; you can see they are all very different:
Cap #1 (made with worsted weight Plymouth Encore acrylic wool blend yarn)
Cap #2 (made with worsted weight Plymouth Encore acrylic wool blend yarn)
Cap #3 (made with Berroco Comfort DK acrylic nylon blend yarn)

The cap above is made with Berroco Comfort DK yarn in a color called "Sprig Green".  I had every intention of following the pattern when I cast it on Friday night before I went to bed.  When I woke up in the wee hours (before 3AM) and couldn't fall back to sleep, I crawled out of bed, made coffee, and starting working on this. After the second cable row, I got tired of cables.  I guess moving the post-it note to help me keep track of the rows was a just a bit too taxing considering my lack of sleep. It occurred to me I could switch to a k2,p2 rib for the remainder of the cap. As I knit away mindlessly through the day, I started to daydream about how I could complete the decreases at the top of that hat.  I ended up winging it when the time came but did write it down just in case it was awesome.  Turns out I am not totally thrilled with the top portion of the hat; I think I decreased too quickly.  Whatever the case may be, I think I am pretty happy with my modified 3AM Cable Hat.  I will be trying this again with even more modifications.

The pattern calls for casting on 108 stitches.  When I made this cap once before in Berroco Comfort DK, I thought it was a bit small. This time I added an extra cable by casting on 12 extra stitches for a total of 120 stitches. I think the size is just right.  It's a very stretchy hat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your modifications. So cute! Harriet