Saturday, January 1, 2011

Finally... Christmas hat and scarf are complete!

Gift set for my coworker, Mrs. W.
Scarf Pattern: Wakefield Scarf (Click HERE for link)
Hat Pattern:  Lace Edged Women's Hat (Click HERE for link)
Yarn: Kollage Yarns Temptation



I was so proud of myself when I purchased yarn for my coworker's Christmas gift in July! Finally a year where I had a plan and would not be in a last minute panic.  Pat me on the back!!!  Mrs. W and I have been coworkers since January 2007, and each year, we've exchanged homemade gifts.  She LOVES purple.  I had this scarf pretty much complete a few months back but kind of grew tired of the pattern, but really... it's pretty typical for me... I was excited to try out some new yarn and a new pattern... so this sat in my closet in a gallon sized Zip-Lock bag for the past several months.  It was just a few weeks ago when Mrs. W and I were commiserating about the stress of the holidays (SO much to do and NO time to do it all). We realized we would not see one another for several days before Christmas (because of our days off) and I think simultaneously our faces turned ashen and our eyes started darting around in panic.  We confessed to one another that neither of us had completed each other's gifts.  I heard her call her husband on the phone a few moments later and I was trying not to eavesdrop, but I just had this sinking feeling she was calling him and asking him to do something for her regarding her gift for me. I quickly got on my email at work and sent
Mrs. W a quick message.  Here is how the conversation went:

ME:  "You know... this should be a no-stress zone... how about we exchange New Year's gifts?"
MRS. W.:  "Sounds like a plan!  That's a load off!!!!"
ME:  "I am so glad we are friends!"
MRS. W.:  "Me too!"

Phew, what a load off!  So I sat down yesterday and finished the scarf and put it on the blocking mats. I noticed I had at least 1 1/2 hanks of this spendy yarn left and I hated the notion of it going to waste. I got on Ravelry, typed in "Kollage Temptation" and, wouldn't you know, there was the Lace Edged Women's hat I made awhile back completed in "Kollage Temptation".  I cast on right away and got it done last night.  Happy New Year!  Both are nice patterns.  If I could do one thing differently, with the scarf, I'd add a border of two or three stitches in garter stitch so the edges of the scarf had a nicer finished look. I saw on Ravelry where someone had done that and it looked much nicer. 

2 comments:

Wool Free and Lovin' Knit said...

Very pretty set and how fun to have something still to unwrap AFTER Christmas!

affectioknit said...

So pretty! I do love the purple!