Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Pembroke



Pembroke



I bought this unusually dyed yarn in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, last July when I was visiting my sister.  The yarn shop, called "Knit-n-Crochet," was so nice, bright, and cheerful, and the people were so friendly.  The shop owner (or an employee?) was knitting a project called "My Lucky Number" using this yarn and I liked the looks of the project.  The yarn is Alexandra's Crafts "Dark Side of the Moon" (Twilight colorway) and it is hand dyed in Silverton, Oregon.

After purchasing the yarn, I wasn't so sure I wanted to make the "My Lucky Number" project after all. So the yarn just sort of sat awaiting a purpose.  When I was at the Interweave Yarnfest just a few months ago, a lady walked past me and she was wearing an asymmetrical triangular-shaped garter stitch wrap around her neck. I loved the look of her wrap and thought it might be a good pattern for my Twilight yarn.  Thankfully, the lady remembered and told me the pattern name: Pembroke.  Turns out, it's a free pattern on Ravelry. Score!  In a lot of ways, this pattern reminds me of the Hitchhiker pattern except it has no "teeth: on the edge of the project.  I think this pattern and this yarn are a great pairing.  I love how it shows off the little rainbow bits of yarn.  It also turns out that this fingering weight yarn would have not been the best choice for socks since this yarn only contains Merino wool and Tussah (silk).  There is no nylon in this yarn.

Here is a photo of the wrap on my blocking mats.  It think the project grew considerably when I blocked it. I soaked it first in tepid water and a few drops of Eucalan and then just layed it out to block (I did not bother with any pins in blocking).  Since the project is in garter stitch, it tends to want to lay flat so blocking was a piece of cake.









Here is a photo of the yarn label (above). Below you can see what the yarn looked like on the hank. When I unwrapped the hank, a second rainbow dyed portion was revealed.  Love it!





We are having a very hot June here in Colorado. It's expected to be in the 90's for the next two weeks.  It will be quite some time before I can wear this pretty wrap, but I am very pleased with how it turned out.




No comments: