Friday, March 16, 2018

Tube Socks




Tube Socks



I've knit many, many pairs of socks but never thought to make a pair of tube socks!  This is a pattern called "After Bertha" and the pattern is from a book called "Socks, Socks, Socks".  After knitting and wearing this pair of socks, I am certain there will be more tube socks in my future.

These socks are basically a knit 3, purl 3 rib. You work knit 3, purl 3 ribbing for about three inches.  Then you start to move the position of the ribbing.  You start the next round with purl 1 and then you resume working the knit 3, purl 3 ribbing.  You work 4 rounds with the ribbing in this new position and then, after 4 rounds, you move the ribbing over one more stitch.  That is, the next round will start with purl 2, and then knit 3, purl 3 around. This creates a diagonal spiral around the sock.  To keep it simple, every 4 rounds, I adjusted all of my needles one stitch all the way around so the entire sock was still knit 3, purl 3 ribbing. I hope that makes sense.

For the toe, you pretty much do gradual decreases like you would in a hat so to that the toe is round and NOT flat.  That way, when you put these socks on, there is no right way to wear them and there is no wrong way to wear them. They are a ribbed tube with a round toe.



These are great fitting socks because of their ribbed nature.  There is no tricky heel to work.  I think these would be a great first pair of socks for those unfamiliar to sock knitting.  Also, these socks would be a great gift for just about anyone especially if you aren't quite sure what shoe size the recipient may wear.  You may just have to alter the number of stiches cast on and the size of needles.

For my socks, I used 2.25 mm needles and I cast on 66 stitches. The pattern calls for 2.75 mm needles.  For the pattern to work, you just need to cast on a multiple of 6 (ie. 54, 60, 66, 72).  The yarn I used is pretty fun, right.  This is Frabjous Fibers "Mary Ann" and the colorway is called "Pink Before You Act".  It's interesting how the yarn pooled differently in the two socks.

No comments: