Thursday, March 29, 2018

Socks: Let the Color Be Your Guide



Let the Color Be Your Guide Socks



I had a little inspiration when I was knitting up these matchy-matchy socks. But first, let me tell you about the yarn. The is Plymouth Yarn "Diversity".  I've used this yarn for socks a lot in the past. The colorway is "Multi Purple Green" (013).  Ordinarily I've had really good luck with this yarn but, this time around, there was a knot in one ball of yarn.   As a result, the stripe pattern got disturbed.  At the cuff of the sock, you can see green/pink/green/pink but down by the foot there is just one green and one pink stripe. Oh well.  I made it work.

I am calling these socks "Let the Color Be Your Guide" because I altered the texture or stitch pattern in the cuff portion whenever the color changed.  Some stripes are all knit (stockinette), some stripes are worked in k2,p2 ribbing, and the white portion of the cuff is worked in waffle stitch.

Waffle Stitch (works over a multiple of 4 stitches):

Rounds 1 and 2:  knit all stitches
Rounds 3 and 4:  *k2,p2* repeat to end of round
Repeat rounds 1 thru 4 until desired.



For these socks, I used a Fish Lips Kiss (FLK) heel; I really love this heel.  With the Diversity yarn, I always use 2.75 mm needles and cast on 52 stitches. It fits my foot perfectly.

So this is the latest project hot off my needles. I am working on a shawl/wrap called "Brickless".  I do a few rows in the morning and a few rows in the evening. I'd like to finish it soon.  I will probably cast on another pair of socks since it's nice to always have an easy pair of socks on the needles.

No comments: