Friday, February 24, 2017

Building in Color: Panel #2 in Progress


Building in Color: Panel #2

Today I had my Building in Color Afghan Class at my local knit shop. I think the ladies in the class are enjoying this new technique as much as me. This is super fun!

This panel uses at technique called "double ended knitting".  You have to use a circular needle for this panel.  To start the panel, you cast on 28 stitches with Color A and then, instead of turning your working and knitting or purling on the other side, you slide your stitches from one end of the circular needle to the opposite side, join Color C, and knit across again.  Upon completion of some rows you do turn your work but other rows you slide all your stitches to the other needle.  The raised vertical line that runs up and down the panel are created from slipped stitches.  I keep saying it looks as if I am knitting plaid and I love that.

Below you can see Sandy and Brutus. Sandy is inspecting my work; Brutus was just interested in laying on top of my feet so I would not get off the couch.



These Building in Color panels all roll terribly since they are primarily stockinette stitch; even after blocking they roll up on themselves. But it will all be sorted out when the panels are stitched together in then end.  This is a really fun project and I am learning so much from this great pattern.  I sure love designs by Michelle Hunter (AKA: KnitPurlHunter).  It's hard to put panel #2 down. I am sure I'll have it done in no time. I've also started work on Panel #3 and I love it, too!  Color work is load so fun.



No comments: