Friday, May 17, 2013

What's Knitting: Chili Socks?





I went to JoAnn's Fabric and Craft Store a few weeks back for some buttons for some baby sweaters nearing completion.  

Of course... while I was there, I HAD to look at the yarn.
I found some yarn I'd not seen before... Serenity Sock Weight Yarn by Premier Yarns.


Well, I guess I had seen this yarn before... the socks I made for my mom for Christmas were made in this yarn in the colorway called "Indigo". 

But I had never seen the "Chili" colorway before...
And I had never seen the "Harlequin" colorway before...

So... of course... I HAD to buy it all.


So I am knitting along, admiring the beautiful soft colors in the yarn called "Chili" and, as I knit, I keep asking myself... "Why on Earth are they calling this yarn 'Chili'????" 

Seriously, it's driving me crazy.  Just a little bit.


Soft faded denim-like shades...
...Purple... no, magenta!
...Blue, really periwinkle.
...A pretty sage green both light and dark.
...and a pinky-peachy shade of off-white.

Lovely really... but "CHILI"?

I went to look at the Premier Yarns website to try to wrap my brain around this yarn naming madness.  I found other colorways in this line of yarn... Paprika, Saffron, Mint... I see a theme developing here and I like it.  The colorways called Purple Spice and Pink Sugar kind of went "off theme" but I see the connection.  The colors in the yarn and the yarn name resemble make sense.

But "Chili" for this yarn... I just don't get it.  I am not upset or ranting here, but these are the things that rattle around in my brain as I knit, knit, knit away.  If anyone can explain the connection here, please let me know. I'll try to not lose any sleep in the meantime.

As I knit, I am thinking names such as... 

Desert Flowers...
Springtime Desert Flowers...
Faded Washed Denim...

Of... perhaps "Water Lilies"...



I know... Moab!


 Or BETTER yet... Moab at Dusk.
 

 Yes, Moab at Dusk is now what I am thinking as I knit these socks.



So these lizard statues have nothing to do with yarn, knitting, Chili, or socks... but they sure are cute! I took these lizard photos in Moab.


Oh, one more thing.  I like how this yarn wrapper has both a pattern AND a ruler printed on the inside.  I guess I can forgive Premier Yarns for giving this yarn a odd name!


No comments: