Sunday, October 28, 2012

Yummy Socks


I have been spending a bit of time at my local yarn shop, “Grandma’s Beads and Yarn”. I typically knit there with a group of friends on Thursdays in the afternoon but, once in a while, especially since school is back in session, I find myself at the knit shop a little more often.  Michelle, the shop’s owner, loves to show me the new yarn that arrives each week; she is really a hoot.  She won’t just let you look at the yarn; she hands it to you so you can really appreciate how nice and soft it is.  Michelle’s favorite adjective for yarn is “yummy,” as in… “isn’t this yarn YUMMY?!” and as she says this, her eyes get really big, she sort of arches her eyebrows, and she doesn’t blink as she looks at your face to see your reaction to the yarn.  Yep, she’s a hoot and quite the sales person.  And, of course, I am more than happy to help support this shop.

This week I bought some new yarn by Classic Elite Yarn called “Liberty Wool Light” in a color way featuring shades of blues, off-white, and lavender. The yarn comes in some interesting color ways and surprising color combinations.  Liberty Wool Light is “sport weight” and it knit up quickly this weekend into a pair of comfy socks I plan to wear around the house. They are YUMMY.   I am not sure this is the best yarn for socks... it's all wool and contains no nylon to help them keep their shape (I think that's what nylon does). But these socks are are great for lounging on the sofa, which is precisely what I intend to do... time to cast on another pair of socks!  I am in a sock-sort-of mood. I get that way sometimes.




No comments: