Sunday, March 24, 2019

Snap Hats


"Snap" Hat 








I have been on a bit of a hat knitting kick lately.  Ann, the owner of my local yarn shop (Yarned & Dangerous, Canon City, Colorado), collects hats and other cold weather items. She brings them to her church where they are blessed and then the hats are donated to local charities.  Nice! 

I've been finding a number of patterns where you combine multiple strands of yarn to make hats that are chunky.  This pattern is called "Snap" and it's from "Tin Can Knits".  You can purchase the pattern on Ravelry.  Here is the LINK.  When you knit this hat, you hold four strands of sock/fingering weight yarn together.  This is a great project to use up leftover quantities of sock yarn.  When I knit socks for myself, I purchase 100 grams of yarn and I always have yarn leftover.  When you look at the photos above, you see some hats look like they are right side out and some look inside out.  The pattern suggests that you knit the hat in the round (knitting all stitches after the ribbed cuff) and then when you are done, you turn the hat inside out.  I think the hats look great both ways.  The pattern calls for US Size 7 and US Size 10.5 needles.  I had the Size 7 but not the Size 10.5, so some of my hats are knit on Size 10 and some of my hats are knit on Size 11. I think the hats knit on the Size 11 are a bit better since they are not so stiff.  

Some folks shy away from purchasing patterns, but I don't.  As you can see, I've already used this pattern four times.  That's well worth it if you ask me.  Also, the pattern is very thorough and includes instructions for multiple sizes.  In addition, the pattern gives information about how you can combine varying weights of yarn (lace weight, dk weight, sock weight) to make this hat.  

I am very behind in posting about completed objects.  I'll have a number of posts in the next few days.  Happy Knitting!


No comments: