Monday, March 25, 2019

Apricity


Apricity

I've actually had this project done for quite some time but have not written about it since I just can't get a really good photo to show off the great details.  I actually hung some "Command Strips" on the wall in my craft room and still... no good photos.  So here are the photos I have.  I apologize that they are not that great.

Apricity is a pattern by Sylvia McFadden (AKA: Softsweater Knits).  It turns out "apricity" means "warmed by the sun in winter".  The shawl is best described as crescent shaped with eyelet details but, on one side of the shawl, there are garter stitch wedges that do remind me of the sun's rays that come to Earth from low angles in the wintertime.  If you look at the pattern on Ravelry, you will see that detail a bit better.  Here is the pattern LINK.  The garter stitch wedges are created by using German Short Rows with a double stitch.  If you are not familiar with that technique, you can watch a You Tube video; here is the link:  YouTube Video for German Short Rows.



I do like the photo above.  Oh, I almost forgot to mention the other details. This yarn is very special.  It's "Yakity Yak" from Greenwood Fibers.  The color way is "Victorian Magenta".  The yarn is made from Yak, Merino Wool, and Silk.  Dreamy!  I bought this yarn to make a shawl designed by the yarn dyer, Carolyn.  The pattern is called "Saratoga Shawl".  Somewhere along the line, I decided I just did not want to make that pattern so I was excited to find the Apricity pattern.  The Saratoga Shawl design is beautiful with really interesting construction, but I just did not see myself wearing it.  I should also say that I just think the yarn dyer, Carolyn, is just about my favorite vendor to see at fiber festivals.  She's just a super sweet lady and of course I like her yarn.  She will be at the Interweave Yarnfest in Loveland, Colorado, later this week and I am looking forward to seeing her in her booth. I might just have to show her my lovely shawl.





1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Beautiful!

~Have a lovely day!