Thursday, January 3, 2019

Squircle




SQUIRCLE




Squircle is a free sock pattern on Raverly.  This is a pattern I've been wanting to tackle for years and I am so glad I finally got around to it. These socks are a blast to make and the fit is perfect for me!

You might not see that these socks are too out of the ordinary but sock knitters will understand the difference when I describe the heel.  Ordinarily when you knit a socks with a heel flap, you work the heel flap over half the number of stitches in the sock.  For example:  if your sock is 60 stitches around, then you work the heel flap over 30 stitches.  In the Squircle socks, you knit a heel flap that is super narrow (only six stitches wide).  Also, when you knit the traditional heel flap, you knit about 24 to 32 rows (depending upon how deep you'd like your heel to be).  In the Squircle socks, you knit about 66 rows.  As a result, you end up with a really narrow and really long heel flap when you knit the Squircle socks. Then you pick up and knit stitches up and down the heel flap.  Because you have so many stitches in the heel gusset area, you need to use two circular needles instead of just using double pointed needles.

For my socks I used Regia PAIRfect yarn.  This yarn is not designed for the Squircle pattern so I had to cut the yarn in a few places so that the stripes in the PAIRfect sock yarn were in the position they are to show off the unusual heel and gusset in the design.  If you look at examples of completed Squircle socks on Ravelry, you'll see that folks use all sorts of self-striping yarns to show off the heel and gusset design.  The Squircle pattern is also a great pattern to use up small amounts of leftover sock yarn.

I am working on a pair of socks with beads now. They are super short socks so I should have them done in a jiffy!

Happy Knitting and Happy New Year!




No comments: