Monday, August 17, 2015

Recycling Plastic Grocery Bags


Fabric Holder to Store and Recycle Plastic Grocery Bags


Months ago I printed out some tutorials on how to make this project. Our internet service was down one Saturday a few weeks back so I could not consult the patterns I had seen. I decided to just wing it!  

I used a rectangle of fabric that measured 13 inches by 18 inches and stitched up two ends, right sides together, so I had a tube that was about 6 inches wide and 18 inches tall. At the bottom edge, I folded up a narrow hem two times, stitched it up with some top stitching, but left a small opening. In the opening, I inserted a 6 inch length of elastic (1/4 inch wide).  After that, I stitched the two ends of elastic together and closed up the opening with some more top stitching. 

On the top edge, I folded over a wider hem.  To make a loop for hanging, I folded a piece of ribbon into the hem and then did some top stitching to hold it all together. I need to work on an easier way to stitch in the ribbon but I am really happy with how this turned out. 


Ta dah!  I insert my plastic grocery bags in the top opening and then, when needed, pull them out of the narrower opening at the bottom. 

The holder can hold at least a dozen plastic grocery bags. We have it hanging on a coat rack in the laundry room which is between the kitchen and garage. When I have go out in the yard to pick weeds or pick up doggie doo doo, it's so handy to just grab a bag. 

These would make great gifts, don't you think?

No comments: