Sunday, July 21, 2013

Oops! Super Short Socks


At JoAnn's Fabrics several weeks ago, I got some Serenity Sock Weight Yarn (by Premiere Yarns) in a colorway called "Harlequin".  It's a self-striping yarn in shades of teal green, dark purple, lime green, and dark yellow. I love the yarn because it's so soft but it turns out it is hand wash/lay flat to dry.  I do need to read the labels better.  Drat!

My coworker, Mrs. W, loves purple so I thought, "Socks for Christmas this year!" I was so proud of myself to be thinking of her Christmas gift already. 

Sat down to cast on the socks about a week ago and, for the life of me, I could not find a pattern repeat in the two balls of yarn I had. I kept looking back and forth between the two balls of yarn and one looked drastically darker than the other. Checked the dye lots.

Doh! 

The dye lots!!! They did not match.  I really do need to read the labels better.  Double drat!!

So I decided to make a pair of very short ankle socks to see if I can make a pair of socks out of one 50 gram yarn ball.  Turns out I had some left over teal green yarn from Knit Picks and I am using the teal green for the heals and toes of the socks.  The solid teal green yarn matches the "Harlequin" self-striping yarn really, really well. I used the teal green yarn in a shawl awhile back. Click HERE to see the shawl called "Calais".

Since the last pair of socks I made with the Serenity Sock Weight Yarn turned out too large (see my "Moab at Dusk" socks), this time I cast on 56 stitches on size 2.75 mm double pointed needles (instead of 64 stitches on size 2.75 mm double pointed needles). These are shaping up to be a good fit for my big ol' feet.

No comments: