I mentioned the website called http://www.knitpurlhunter.com/ in my last post. She has a cute coffee cup cosy pattern on that site available for free. I started to make the cup cosy but after several rows, I discovered a mistake in my knitting (whoops...I missed some of the twisted stitches)... so I frogged it. It was not the end of the world; I was not happy with my yarn in that pattern. But I do want to make the cup cosy on that website some day.
I ended up improvising the cup cosy pictured above. The yarn is Yarn Garden Serenity 20 in fingering weight. The colorway is "Butterfly Kisses" and it's a left over from a shawl I made earlier in the year called "Ginkgo Shoulderette Shawl". The yarn is yummy... it is soft and plump and contains cashmere. I was tickled that I could eeek out yet another little project using this yarn. Too good to go to waste!
Here are some notes on how to make this Coffee Cup Cosy.
- Using US Size 2 1/2 (3.0 mm needle) double pointed needles, cast on 56 stitches. Join to knit in the round.
- k2,p2 ribbing for 7 rounds.
- Follow chart for basket weave "woven stitch" (chart below is from Sock Yarn One Skein Wonder book).
- Work Rows 1 through 8 of chart a total of 4 times (fewer or more times for a shorter or longer cup cosy; end with a Row 4 or a Row 8).
- k2,p2 ribbing for 7 rounds
- Bind off loosely in pattern (knit the knits, purl the purls).