Saturday, January 28, 2012

Entrelac



While in Glenwood Springs, Colorado, a few years back on vacation... I bought some expensive Noro Silk Garden Sock yarn on an impulse.  I paid nearly $20.00 per skein and I bought two skeins. Eeeee-GADS!  That's some expensive souvenir yarn!  One of my knitting goals for 2012 is to use this yarn.


With this yarn...
I considered making a Clapotis...
I considered making a Hemlock Ring Doily Throw...
But this yarn WANTS to be entrelac.




 I've had a little experience with this design or technique before... a dishcloth, a little bag I made, and a square on my Great American Afghan. After these experiences, I thought I would never make anything entrelac again. It's rather slow going and the backside of the project kind of looks lumpy and bumpy and messy. 


But this yarn wants to be ENTRELAC.


I am surprised I am enjoying this project so much. It's almost addictive. I find my self saying, "Okay, just one more row of squares and I'll put this down!"  But next thing you know, I can't put it down and I have a few more rows of squares (and triangles done).  I am using THIS PATTERN which is free on Ravelry.


My husband and son don't often have much of a reaction to my knitting projects, but my husband always comments that the entrelac projects are especially nice looking.  In fact, I think he likes the entrelac square on the GAA the best.  In my current entrelac project, my husband and son both think the colors look great.  I agree.  Noro yarn is not as soft as you would expect (it's rather scratchy), but the colors are amazing!


Entrelac Square in my Great American Afghan



2 comments:

affectioknit said...

It's so pretty! I've never tried entrelac...

Have a lovely day!

Wool Free and Lovin' Knit said...

such pretty colors!