Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Great American Afghan


This is the project I am so excited about. It's called "The Great American Afghan". You can see it all in greater detail if you go to http://www.cascadeyarns.com/. If you click on the photo of the afghan on their website, you will be launched into a really nice video (with music no less!) so you can see each square in detail. There is also a quote from the designer of each square... comments about the inspiration for their particular square. My knit shop, Anne's Knit Shop, has a completed afghan on display. I have been eyeing it for months and also I've been flipping through pattern book. I've been knitting for just less than one year and I was just too worried I'd purchase all the yarn and get stuck and/or frustrated and the entire project would end up in a bag in the back of a closet. Imagine how excited I was when I learned my knit shop is offering a class on The Great American Afghan over the course of six months. We'll meet one time each month, which will give us time to work on the squares between sessions. And when we get stuck or frustrated, we have our instructor to get us through the rough patches. Right now the course instructor is working through each square. She says since the pattern for each square is written by a different person... no two bobbles are made in the same way! It should be fun. I am sure I will learn so much from this project! I still like the square with the crab the best. I wonder if I'll still feel the same way when I finish that square?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kim - Just looked at the video of this afghan. What a monumental accomplishment it will be to finish that heirloom! Will be watching your progress with interest, as I'm totally inspired now to try too.