Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Weaving



Weaving



My local yarn shop, Yarned & Dangerous in Canon City, Colorado, has many folks enthused about a new hobby... weaving.  This is thanks to Diane and Ann (the shop owner).  Diane has been teaching a variety of weaving classes at the shop this past year and I just had to give it a try to understand a little bit more what everyone was talking about. Warp! Weft! Heddle! What?!?

At Yarned & Dangerous, there is a corner of the shop dedicated to weaving supplies and now customers can purchase Ashford brand weaving looms through the shop.  It's so fun to see what folks are making on their looms.  You can follow the "Yarned & Dangerous" Facebook page at this following LINK.




In my weaving class (back in October I think) I used a small table top loom.  Diane already had the warp on the loom for all of the students.  The warp are the threads of yarn on the loom that are "vertical".  When you weave through the warp in a horizontal manner (back and forth), that's the weft.  We got to try out a variety of stitches as you can see in my weaving above.  When I was done with my weaving, I turned the warp into fringe at the bottom of the weaving.  At the top, I used some macramé stitches and attached the weaving to a twig from a cottonwood tree.

I don't plan to invest in a loom any time soon, but I do love the look of the woven items folks at the shop are making.



No comments: