Thursday, September 13, 2018

Hitchhiker Beyond



Hitchhiker Beyond



In the above photo, you can see two shawls pictured.  The shawl at the top of the photo is called "Hitchhiker Beyond" and the shawl at the bottom of the photo is called "Hitchhiker". They are patterns from Martina Behm and both are available for purchase on Ravelry.  I've made the Hitchhiker pattern at least five times; I love it! I figured it was about time I tried out the "Hitchhiker Beyond" pattern. 

I wore my new Hitchhiker Beyond to the Salida Fiber Festival this past weekend and I got a lot of nice compliments about it!  A few folks recognized the design as looking like a Hitchhiker and I mentioned that it was actually the Hitchhiker Beyond. So of course folks asked, "What's the difference?"  You can see that above; the shape.  You can see the direction of the knitting if you look from right to left above. With the Hitchhiker pattern, you start out with just a few stitches and then slowly increase until you are nearly out of yarn and then you bind off.  This creates an asymmetrical triangle.

In the Hitchhiker Beyond, the knitting starts in the very same manner as the Hitchhiker, but once you've worked 1/3 of your yarn, the pattern changes and includes increases and decreases. Ultimately you end up with a more symmetrical shape as you can see above.

I love knitting both designs and find them to be very wearable.

I am especially loving my Hitchhiker Beyond because it's made with yarn I dyed myself.  Earlier this summer, I participated in a workshop at my local yarn shop (Yarned and Dangerous, Canon City, Colorado).  Peggy Doney from "The 100th Sheep" was our instructor.  It was such a fun day.  Below you can see photos of my hand dyed yarn.  I am working on projects with the remaining yarn at this time.
















No comments: