Saturday, September 22, 2018

Brickless/Hitchhiker (Hand Dyed Yarn)





Brickless/Hitchhiker

If you've been following along, you will know that I had the opportunity to hand dye some yarn at my local yarn shop (Yarned & Dangerous, Canon City, Colorado), earlier this summer.  Peggy from "The 100th Sheep" was our expert instructor.  This is my third of four hanks of hand dyed yarn and this project is all done.  Just in time for the first day of Autumn.








This project is actually a mash up of two patterns by Martina Behm and the patterns are called "Brickless" and "Hitchhiker".  I've knit both patterns before.  I started out with the "Brickless" pattern which has three design elements: Net Lace Part, Garter Stitch Part, and Ribbed Part.  It's nice to have the three parts so you don't get bored but, at the same time, I sometimes just want to knit and don't want to have to follow the pattern on paper so closely.  Also sometimes the Net Lace and Ribbed Parts just slowed me down so much that I did not enjoy knitting them.  So I decided to stop work on the Brickless pattern and switch to Hitchhiker.  The Hitchhiker pattern is garter stitch with the occasional bind off of five or six stitches to create the teeth you see along the one of the shawl.  I have seen other completed Hitchhikers where knitters have inserted rows of eyelet on the same rows as the bind off stitches to create the teeth, so I decided to add in the eyelet rows so that the latter Hitchhiker portion of the shawl would have some lace elements just like the beginning Brickless portion of the shawl.

Below you can see all of my hanks of hand dyed yarn as well as a few more photos of my Brickless/Hitchhiker.

















I am off to the knit shop to teach class (Building Blocks) and I get to wear my new shawl. Yay!  Today is also Part II of a Felted Slipper class I am taking at Yarned & Dangerous.  Robbie is our instructor and we are going to her house to felt our slippers.  I'll share some photos of the completed slippers soon!

Happy Fall!

No comments: