Saturday, January 19, 2019

Copy Cat "C.C. Beanie"


Copy Cat "C.C. Beanie"


I've been seeing this hat for a year or two or three?  It's a commercially made hat and it seems to be quite popular. I've made a similar hat for myself.  I wore it to the knit shop one day and I got to talking about it with Tammy at the shop.  She mentioned a hat called a "C.C. hat" or a "Colorado Chick" hat and she told me she had seen copy cat patterns on Ravelry.  

I did a little looking and sure enough I found the "Copy Cat C.C. Beanie" pattern. It turns out there is  a company called "Colorado Chick" and their hat called "Boulder Authentic C.C. Original Beanie" is that hat I've been seeing around.  You can see the hats on their website HERE



Of course I had to make the hat. The pattern calls for worsted weight yarn and I used Cascade "Pacific" yarn that I had left over from my "Building in Color" afghan project.  I got the greatest fluffy white pom pom at my local yarn shop (Yarned and Dangerous, Canon City, Colorado).  The pom pom is detachable and includes a snap.  You stitch the snap receptacle onto the hat and you can pop the pom pom on and off so that the hat can be washed.  How cool is that?

You can see a little video about this type of pom pom HERE.

I did not entirely follow the pattern for this hat.  The pattern calls for starting the brim with a provisional cast on and then, after you work the ribbing for enough length, you fold the brim in half, undo the provisional cast on, and merge the cast on stitches with the live stitches for a brim that is double thickness.  I did not work the brim this way; I was worried I might run out of yarn since I did not start out with a full skein of yarn.  I wish I had made the brim this way; I think it looks really nice. If I do make this hat again, I'll follow the directions for the brim.  I've never made a hat brim this way and I'd like to try this technique.

If you'd like to make a "Copy Cat C.C. Beanie" you can find the pattern HERE.


No comments: