Monday, October 1, 2018

Felted Slippers... Two Pairs... Done!




Felted Slippers

A few weeks back I took a class at my local yarn shop (Yarned & Dangerous, Canon City, Colorado) where we learned how to make these cool slippers. The slippers are made with worsted weight wool yarn and a novelty yarn (eg. fun fur, ladder yarn, etc.) and then the slippers are felted to size.  You can see another post about these slippers by clicking HERE.  You can see a lot of BEFORE shots in that post. As promised, here are my AFTER shots.

These are some random photos I took of my two pairs of slippers. Yes, the first pair was so much fun, I had to make a second pair.


Below:  I stuffed some plastic grocery bags in the slippers after felting to help the slippers hold their shape a bit.  The slippers are outside on my back patio drying.





Above you can see my second pair of slippers. I am happy the variegated yarn I used for the slippers but the novelty yarn I chose was not the best option.  I used a "faux mohair" yarn and it just looks kind of grubby after felting.  My class instructor said I could brush the "mohair" with a stiff bristle brush a bit to see if that improved things. If not, I can also "shave" the slippers with a razor and get rid of some of the odd looking "fluff".





In the photo above, I had a bath towel on the floor in the laundry room. I kept pulling my slippers out of the washer and trying them on (sopping wet!) to see if the size was just right.

Below can see a photo of my second pair of slippers before felting.  They sure do change a lot, don't they?!?

















Since I have some left over wool suitable for felting from my recent felted bag and felted slipper projects, I have a few more felting projects I'd like to whip up in the near future.

Until next time... Happy Knitting!

No comments: