Sunday, October 28, 2018

Felted Mittens



Felted Mittens



My felting frenzy is over. This is my last project but I did have a great time with all of my felted projects over the past few months... two bags, two pairs of slippers, and two oven mitts.

This is yet another pattern from a great book called "Knit One, Felt Too".  The yarn I used is Kraemer Yarns "Naturally Nazareth Worsted Merino Blend" and the colorway is called "Autumn".  The pattern from the book is called "Double-Cuff Mittens".  The mittens are worked over 40 stitches on size US 11 double pointed needles.  You felt the mittens in the clothing washer until they are the right size.  Next, you knit two cuffs for the mittens on size US 4 needles.  I used a coordinating solid yarn as you can see, but the pattern calls for using the same yarn used for the mittens.  The cuff does not get felted. It just get stitched into the inside of the mitten. Pretty darn clever, right?  Below are some photos of this project in various stages of completion.

Below, I have not yet stitched in the cuffs.



Finally stitched in those cuff (below).  The mittens are a little big on me but the snugger ribbed cuffs will keep any cold air drafts out of the mittens.  So smart!



Below... look how big these mittens are before felting!  Yowza!






Above... here are those knitted cuffs I was telling you about.



Above... Here you can see the mitten turned inside out.  I found I needed to use straight pins to hold the cuffs in place while stitching the cuff to the mitten using needle and thread.

This was a very fun project. Happy Knitting!


No comments: