Saturday, November 30, 2019

Harmonia's Rings Cowl



Harmonia's Rings Cowl


In a prior post, I mentioned I attended a knitting retreat in October.  The hostess was Sivia Harding. The focus of the retreat was moebius knitting.  I had watched some moebius knitting videos in the past but had never tried any moebius projects.  The cast on and the moebius knitting process are  fascinating.  If you've never tried it, I encourage you to add a moebius knitting project to your knitting bucket list.

Just to give you an idea how unique moebius knitting is, I encourage you to check out this video from Cat Bordhi.  She is the clever woman who figured out this cast on.  The video can be found HERE.
Also, if you happen to subscribe to "Bluprint" (formerly called "Craftsy"), Cat Bordhi has some great videos and moebius knitting projects on that site.


This cowl starts out as a moebius. Perhaps you can see the unique shaping in the collar portion?  The collar portion also features a picot bind off which I don't think you can see in the photos.  I apologize the photos are not the greatest.

The yarn I used in this project is yarn I purchased at the retreat.  Folks representing Abundant Earth Fiber came to the retreat with yarn and yarn dyeing equipment.  The yarn I used is called "Aviary"; it's a worsted weight yarn made from Merino wool and alpaca.  I made my cowl much longer than the pattern called for so I could use as much of the yarn as possible.  I kind of think of this item as a short cape.  It's easy to wear and it's warm and cozy.  The Harmonia's Rings Cowl is available for purchase on Ravelry.

No comments: